PE 362 - Petroleum Refining & Evaluation of its Products
Course lecturer :
- Eng.Mohamed Hawari
- Eng.Dina Sobhy
- Eng.Radwa Zarra
Course assistant :
To enable students to:
- Introduce modern petroleum refinery.
- Present the common refinery fuels processes.
- Show the students refining of crude oils into the fuels specification products that the markets demand.
- Introduce the physical properties of Crude and petroleum products according to standard codes.
- Familiarize the students with the preparation of crude for refining operations.
- Provide the students with atmospheric and vacuumed distillation operation.
Course objectives :
- – Explain the origin of Crude and physical properties of petroleum products.
- – Explain crude processing for refining operations (atmospheric and vacuum distillation).
- – Identify different methods of cracking to Upgrade petroleum products (thermal cracking, catalytic cracking, and hydro cracking).
- – Explain different methods to improve petroleum products (plat and catalytic reforming )
- – Explain different Treatment methods of petroleum products(acid, alkali, dewaxing)
- – Examine the origin of petroleum crude.
- – Determine the factors that affect the quality of petroleum products.
- – Determine the factors affecting upgrading of petroleum crude by different operations.
- – Apply the operation systems of distillation towers.
- – Classify different processes used in petroleum treatment.
- – Differentiate between different treatments methods of petroleum crude and fractions.
- – Analyze Petroleum components and products.
- – Differentiate between petroleum processing methods .
- – Select the important factors that affect the evaluation of petroleum crude.
Course description :
(Attendance + Reports+ Quizzes)——–20% Mid term exam (9th week)——————-20 % Final lab exam————————————–10% Final written exam ——————————-50%
Course assessment :
Fahim el al, Fundamentals of petroleum refining,elsevier,2010
Recommended text books :
Gary J.H and Handwerk G.E., Petroleum Refining Technology & economics,4th edition,Marcel Dekker Inc. N.Y. ,(2001)