PM 204 – Genetics and Immunology
Course lecturer :
- Assistant prof. Dr Gihan Elbatouty
- Dr. Ahmed Noby Amer
- Dr. Yasmin shahin
Course assistant :
Course objectives :
- Identify the components of the innate and adaptive immune system Identify the types of antigens and antibodies and their main properties.
- – Recognize the mechanisms of cell mediated immune response, hypersensitivity reactions and immunotherapy modalities
- – Recall terms frequently used in genetics. Identify mutations and genetic disorders. Recognize the fundamentals of microbial genetics and gene transfer. .
Course description :
The course will provide the students with the basic fundamentals of the innate and adaptive immune system, including their cells and their functions and immune disorders, as well as the types of immunization. The course also includes structures and functions of genetic material and the different basics of classical and molecular genetics.
Course assessment :
Written and oral exams, classwork activities and assignments.
Recommended text books :
- Tortora, GJ, Funke, BR, Case CL, (2010), Microbiology, an Introduction. 10th edition. Pearson Education, Inc.
- Levison W. Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, 13th ed., 2014, Mc Graw Hill Co.
- Mader SS, Windelspecht M, (2016), Human Biology. 14th edition. Mc Graw Hill Co.
- Hartwell LM, Hood L, Goldberg ML, Reynolds AE, Silver LM,(2015), Genetics: from Genes to Genome. 5th edition. Mc Graw Hill Co.
- Robert J. Brooker and others. (2014), Biology. 3rd edition. Mc Graw Hill Co.
Recommended refrences :
- Krebs JE, Lewin B, Goldstein ES, Kilpatrick ST, (2013), Lewin\’s Essential Genes. 3rd edition. Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- McLennan A, Turner P, Bates A, (2012), BIOS Instant Notes in Molecular Biology. 4th edition. Garland Science.