Students Rules and Regulations
ELC Rules and Regulations for all students from English Zero and English Three
It is important that you read through the following rules and regulations in order to get familiar with the students rules and regulations.
- All classes are 3 hours long, and they run twice a week. The ELC provides morning, afternoon, and late afternoon classes. The morning classes start at 8:30 and end at 11:30 a.m. while the afternoon classes start at 12:30 and end at 3:30 p.m. or start at 11:30 and end at 2:30 p.m. The late afternoon classes start at 3:30 p.m. and end at 6:30 p.m.
- You are obliged to attend in the group assigned to you when registering online or in person.
Attendance will be counted starting Day One of the term regardless of the date of the course registration.
- It is important that you hear your name called by your instructor at the beginning of each class, and that you answer back “Present” in a clear and loud voice so that your instructor can mark you as present. The same applies to when the Student Affairs Representative comes to class to call your name once again. In case you do not reply, you will be considered absent for this class.
- It is important for you to check the ELC bulletin board for warnings. The bulletin board is located on the first floor of the Faculty of Business and Administration Building (Building D) where the ELC is located. Warnings will also be posted regularly on the ELC section of Pharos University website.
- A first warning will be issued when you are absent for 3 classes.
- A second warning will be issued if you are absent for 6 classes.
- A denial (DN) will be issued if your absence exceeds 6 classes, i.e. 7 classes and above, resulting in not allowing you to sit for the final exam.
- If you come to class without a course book and/or a workbook, the class will count as absent.
- You are expected to be in class on time (i.e. at 8:30 a.m. for the morning classes or 11:30 a.m. for the early noon ones, or 12:30 p.m. for the afternoon ones, or 3:30 p.m. for the late afternoon classes).
- If you come at 8:45 am for the morning classes or 11:45 am or 12:45 pm for the afternoon classes or 3:45 pm for the late afternoon classes, the class will count as half absence. Bear in mind that every 2 half absences count as ONE class absence.
- If you come to class at 9:00 am for the morning classes or at 12:00 or 1:00 pm for the afternoon classes or at 4:00 pm for the late afternoon class, it will be counted as an absence. You will have the choice to stay or to leave the class after being informed that the day is counted as an absence. You will have to sign next to your name that you have been informed of counting you as absent
- The class break is 20 minutes. You have to adhere to the time allowed for the break. But if you come 5-10 minutes later after break time, a half presence will be deducted. You will have to sign next to your name that you have been informed of counting you as half absent.
- You cannot leave the class before or after the break time without a written approval from both the class instructor and the Director of the ELC. If you leave without obtaining such permission, the day is counted as half absence.
- You are neither allowed to skip the class nor leave in the middle of it for the sake of any other lecture since all English classes are synchronized with the other classes in all departments. If you leave the class to attend any other class than English, the day will be counted as an absence or half absence depending on the time when you leave.
- If you are a graduating student or taking English (repeating the course) at a later term than your fellow students, then you will need to coordinate your class schedule with the Director of the ELC. In case conflict cannot be resolved, you will be advised to drop your English class and take it at a later time.
- You will not be allowed early leaves unless it is an emergency. All emergency leaves need to be approved first from the instructor then the Director of the ELC.
- You will be excused for your absence only in case of presenting a written medical excuse from the University Clinic. All medical excuses approved by the University Clinic should be presented directly after your return to classes to the Student Affairs Representative. Otherwise, you may be subject to receiving a warning.
- You will also be excused for your absence in case you are travelling abroad. However, you will need to present your passport to prove your departure and arrival dates.
IV. Course-Work: (Quarters / Midterm / Listening Quiz / Speaking Quiz/ Writing Quiz)
- Your course-work consists of 1 quiz, 1 midterm exam, 1 listening quiz, 1 speaking quiz and 1 writing quiz.
- All Course Work (except for the midterm) will be answered & submitted during class hours according to their assigned time on the term calendar.
- If you do not show up on the day of the test, you will redo a different one in the following class without any prior notification; this does not apply for the listening quiz because of the unavailability of the labs. In case your absence exceeds the one-class, you will not be eligible to sit for the test by any means.
- Plagiarism is denounced worldwide. Hence, you are not allowed to copy any published written works: printed, online, or a colleague’s work.
- In case of plagiarism, you will be required to sign on the plagiarized material. It will be photocopied. You will keep the copy and the instructor will keep the original for future reference. As a result, the instructor will deduct the mark of the plagiarized section(s)..
- All books are available in the Copy Center located on the ground floor of the Faculty of Business and Administration Building (Building D).
- Once you register for your English course in the ELC, you will not be allowed to attend the class without both books (course book & workbook).
- If you enrolled for the courses in 2012 or earlier (e.g. 2011 or 2010), you will need to confirm first with the ELC that your name is in the Copy Center register, so you could pay for the books.
VI. Code of Conduct and Ethics:
- You are strictly prohibited from smoking both inside the classroom and on the ELC floor.
- You are not allowed to eat or to drink any beverages, except for water, inside the classroom during lecture time.
- You are accountable for the cleanliness of the classroom, notably, if you eat or drink in the classroom during the break time.
- You are to switch your mobile phone off or to silent mode during lecture time. In case of emergencies, you can use it outside the classroom only with permission from the teacher.
- Any misconduct or immoral behavior will be met with an appropriate penalty by the ELC according to the degree of each case.
- If you encounter a problem in the classroom, which may affect your learning performance, kindly communicate your complaint to your instructor in order to overcome it rapidly and continue learning with restored fine performance.
- If you would like to make a complaint (or even a suggestion to improve your class or the like) anonymously, you can write it down on a piece of paper and place it inside the ELC Suggestion / Complaint Box.
- In case of urgent or imminent complaints that your instructor could not give aid about, you are entitled to make a complaint to the Director of the ELC, whether orally, or even better, in a written form in Arabic or English. However, after delivering your complaint, you will have to await the response at the date and time given to you.
VIII. For further information:
- In case you have further questions/queries concerning anything that is related to the ELC, please call 03-3877324 or send an e-mail to email@example.com or visit the website beta.pua.edu.eg/englishlanguagecenter .